Friday, September 11, 2009

Not in Kansas anymore...

Well, here I am! In Klagenfurt, Austria. Living in the dorms. Yikes!
Katharina and I arrived in Klagenfurt yesterday about 7:15. Agnes, who is in charge of the exchange buddy program at the university picked us up at the train station and drove us to the dorms. She walked us across to the campus and showed us a few things. I'm literally directly across from the main building on campus, so that's very nice!
I would be lying, though, if I didn't say that the homesickness set in once I arrived here. The weight of being here on my own kind of all settled in, I think. Luckily, Katharina understands from all of her time in new places... so she gave me lots of hugs!! Then we decided it was best to just go get some food and relax. There's a nice little cafe directly next to my dorm, so we walked over and had some salad and decided a few drinks would probably help too :) Well, of course, they did! Katharina had me completely distracted from my homesickness and we were giggling and talking like always in no time!
Today we woke up and had some campus things to take care of-- letting the international office know I had arrived, filling out dorm paperwork, and so on. The priority in my mind was the internet!!!!! I thought that surely the dorms would have wireless... but no! After we got everything taken care of on campus, we tried to connect my laptop to the wireless on campus... didn't work! So, we went into town and bought a cable to connect to the Broadband in the dorms, spent the day at the mall and in the downtown shopping area, had ice cream and bought some groceries... And we were SO excited to have the internet in the dorm, finally... but no! Even with the cable, the internet isn't working in my dorm! So, no pictures and not a lot of time to be on here! But.. oh well! I should be exploring the city, not sitting online!!
So, short and sweet.. just wanted to let everyone know that we had arrived in Klagenfurt, at last!!

P.S. The train ride through the alps was INCREDIBLE! Can't wait to share the pictures!


1 comment: