Thursday, September 17, 2009

My week!

Hi all! Hope everyone is doing well! My first week in Klagenfurt is going so well! I couldn't have dreamt it being better, really. I've met some great people already and am excited about the semester :)
Of course, most of the people that I've been spending time with are native English speakers... but that's kind of normal. All of the Italians spend most of their time together, as do the Turkish students, etc. etc. etc. But it's funny... there are 2 students from England and then 2 of us from the US that hang out a lot. We basically sit around and laugh at one another. We all speak so differently! It's really hilarious how even the most simple words can sound so entirely different!! But lucky for me, we are all in the same group for classes and two of them live in the same dorm as I do, so we've been having meals together and keeping one another company when there's nothing going on-- which is great!
Today was the first sunny and just NICE day that I've really had in Klagenfurt! Everyone told me the weather would be comparable to home... but I'm pretty sure in Kansas in September I don't generally wear long sleeves and a jacket and STILL feel cold! But.. hopefully, that's just a brief thing but the trees are starting to lose their leaves already.. so I'm really thinking it may just get colder! BOO!! Sadly, we had to spend a lot of the day in class today. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday we have class from 9 to 10:30, then have a half hour break, then again from 11 to 12:30. Tuesdays and Thursdays, though, we have that AND class from 2 to 3:30. But after class, one of the guys from class and I decided to take advantage of the day and go into town. We took the bus in and walked all over the place, had ice cream (yummmm!), and then walked back home. It took about two and a half hours, so it was a great way to spend the afternoon.
Now I'm REALLY excited. I finally had a successful trip at the grocery store the other day and got some good bread, some meat and cheese, some ground meat, tortilla shells, etc. etc... so there's another American here for only the intensive 3-week course, and he said he was out of food for tonight so I told him I had stuff to make pasta or stuff to make tacos and his eyes LIT up! It's really sad how excited we can get over little things, sometimes! But we decided I didn't have nearly enough supplies so he is running to the grocery store to buy more things to make guacamole, etc! YAY!!! :) Maybe I won't be soo bad at this feeding myself thing, after all! Haha..
There's really nothing too exciting or fabulous to tell you all about (I don't really think anything I've written so far was that great!!) but I thought I should fill in the last few days :)
Love you all!

4 comments:

  1. lol... nothing like a good ol' Mexican dinner in Austria, right?? :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You eat a lot of ice cream (like every post!) Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing you've helped make guac (that's for Erin) at home. We might have to make some too! In Austria, do you have to add sauerkraut to it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly.. our exciting Mexican meal ended up only being soft tacos after all.. by the time Stephen got to the store, it was closed... so no "guac"! :) Next time though... and I veto sauerkraut in my guac!!! That's just too far..!

    ReplyDelete